Thursday, August 29, 2019

Pastures Unknown

A weird title today and no wonder - I have gone where few humans have trod . . .well, at least that was how it seemed to me . . .

It isn't often one goes somewhere and can put hand on heart and say that as far as you can see, few (if any) people have ever been there, and probably not in recent years/decades.

OK - that's quite a blanket statement, but after many years of country sitting, watching, walking, reading signs and so on I can pretty much be clear in my head and say that was the case. Call it experience, or my inner Injun Joe** coming out, because y'see, the thing with people is they leave stuff.
**  (I was never a cowboy)

It might not be obvious, but the markers are there all the same: from heavily gouged Vibram paths, to the remnants of stupidly placed camp fires and hacked lumber; depressed tyre tracks across wet moor; footprints in mud; broken vegetation; stones tumbled from ancient resting places. Basically all sorts of stuff equivalent to a herd of elephants blundering through a place.


Another Lost Burn
Glen Doll
April 2019


Anyway, the place, Sheepy, worraboottheplacemon?

Well, yes, it's somewhere I've meant to visit, and indeed tried to visit, for a very long time.
Back in 1959 it was the scene of a terrible disaster for a party of walkers caught in a great storm. It was so awful that to this day there's a shelter place dedicated to the safety of other walkers who might find themselves in similar situations. 

If you can find a copy, The Black Cloud, by Ian Thompson details it in full.

Where I was, was near to that, but separated by nigh on 600 feet of sheer rocky appalingness, down which a few of them fell, and indeed, for the disaster happening on New Year's Day, it wasn't until the end of May that the last body was found - that gives you an idea of just how remote and inaccessible the place is (and more so in the Winter).

What would I find when I got there - that was a thought that had always intrigued me. It wasn't morbidity or ambulance chasing or anything, but I thought I'd chance on a feeling.
In truth, there initially seemed to be nothing, just the rummel of water and rock and nature at work, yet I think I found something.
Something undocumented as being of interest on any map, but which I believe could be an ancient marker stone.
It's a large stone placed perfectly vertically in a crack in a flat body of stone looking back the ways along the Glen - for nature to have deposited it so carefully and exactly does (to my eyes) seem very coincidental.
If indeed it has any significance, I know not; but the feeling of timelessness was there and I supped at it with my soul as a hungry dog will lick marrow from a bone - but could I capture it photographically - no I could not.

I actually felt like one of those early American Pioneers when they were taking photos of Indigenous Peoples - like I was taking a part of its soul and as such this un-nerved me and I could not do it justice.
It was kind of like we were checking each other out though . . maybe next time

Anyway, here's a couple of pics and things of the place - we'll get onto the photographic meat and potatoes in a minute . . .



Hasselblad and 150mm Sonnar Ready For Action



Pig's Eye View
If You Were Feeling Really Brave,
You Could Have A Go
At the Rough Country Ahead


                                                                            



                                                         


Well, that was, yawwwn, really, yaaawwwwwwnnnnnn, very intere . . yawwwwn . . sting wasn't it.
Oh yes, you can't fool me - you were on the edge of your seat!

Anyway, cameras for this trip were both Hasselblads - the 500 C/M and the SWC/M - it might seem a bit bonkers when you can do it all from one camera, but I find they compliment each other well, and seeing as I can't get the 38mm Biogon in standard stand-alone V-mount, then two cameras it is.

In truth, the SW weighs next to nothing for it's quality, so I don't mind.

It is certainly easier hauling two Blads than it was when I used to have to carry a LF camera, wearing my old Meindl boots - you've surely heard the adage "a pound on your feet is equivalent to ten on your back"?
If that is the case then hauling those old anchors around on my plates of meat (1275 gm each . . . thus 2.75lb, and in back terms 55lb on my back . . .) JEEZ, no wonder they nearly killed me!
I travel much lighter these days - Altberg Defenders - made in the UK and the issue boot of choice to a lot of our army lads - they're high leg, lightweight and do a superb job in all terrains - you can actually cross moderate burns in them and not get any water ingress. 
Money well spent is what I'd say.
Anyway, that's enough boot talk - you'll think I am mad.

So, in common with all FB's this year, steady . . . keep yourself in check . . . here's the contact prints:

                                       Film # 66/56





#66/56, HP5+ EI 200, 13/4/19 - 150mm Sonnar

1./ 1/30, f22, ZIII Big Rock
2./ 1/60, f22, ZIII Strath
3./ 1/8 F22 ZIII Pool - Waited (or wasted!) 10 Minutes
4./ 1/15 f22 ZIII Water
5./ 1/15 f22 ZIII Strath/Trees
6./ 1/15 f22 ZIII Falls
7./ 1/15 f22 ZIII Falls
8./ 1/8 F22 ZIV Wall? Comp For Dull
9./ 1/4, f22, ZIII Rocks
10./ 1/4, f22, ZIII Big Rock
11./ 1/4, f22, ZIII Rock Orifice
12./ 1/15 f22 ZIII Marker

All tripod.
21 mins PHD  22℃  usual 17-21.
Better metered?
Not sure, but they're fine.
THIS WAS THE LAST OF MY ORIGINAL PYROCAT - I STILL THINK I MUCKED UP THE MIX, BUT IT DID FINE!






Film # 66/55




#66/55, HP5+ EI 200, 13/4/19 - SWC

1./ 4 Sec - - -> 7 Sec, f16 ZIII 
2./ 1/15, f11, ZVI Stone
3./ 1/4 F22 ZIII Rocks/Sky
4./ 1/60 f22 ZIII Strath
5./ 1/15 f22 ZIII Trees
6./ 1/15 f22 ZIII Trees
7./ 1/30 f22 ZIII Falls handheld + rest
8./ 1/8 F16 ZIV Bridge  - handheld
9./ 1/8 F16 ZIV Bridge  - handheld
10./ 1/60 f22 ZIII Pool - handheld
11./ 1/60 f22 ZIII Self - handheld
12./ 1/60 f22 ZIII Pool - tripod

21 mins PHD  22℃  Stand from 17 mins.
Well, there's a lot of underexposure on this - not sure why - it is disappointing though - must pay more attention to readings.


Now I know they're pretty awful - the first one is the Sonnar, the second the SW and as you can see, there's heavy duty underexposure going on. Yeah, I know - who'd-a-thunk-it.
No idea why this is happening - but I'll put it down to meter operating error - certainly in recent weeks I have used the SW again a couple of times and the films (FP4 . . rated at, gulp, EI 50) have been fine.

Anyway, I know you've got things to do, so here's some prints, albeit not very good ones on some old and expired Ilford MGRC. All developed in Kodak Polymax.
I shall return when the Winter comes in more and I have more enforced darkroom time and print them better - there's also a few frames on the contacts that really could be doing with printing - we shall see.
Time is the most precious thing we don't own.


Another Lost Burn
Glen Doll
April 2019


Boulderfield



The Dreaming Place



Boulderfield and Scots Pine



Forestry Commission Concrete Bridge


This gloomy latter print, all  horribly underexposed, scanned up hairier than a gorilla's trousers, so I had to tweak it slightly - it is still my favourite picture of the day.
When you start looking, these really supremely ugly (yet practical) concrete Forestry Commission bridges are all over Scotland.
Maybe someone has detailed them somewhere (there must be tens of thousands).
Hey maybe someone has started a Facebook group! 
Concrete bridge nuts unite!! 
Vote for your favourite monstrosity!!!

And that's it folks - remember you can't use that zimmer down at the gym any more - I had a lot of complaints last time about the holes in the mats.

11 comments:

  1. Speaks! Excellent. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only sometimes . . thanks!

    A-No_Knee-Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do mouses have kneeses, anyway? I've never looked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly do according to the most delightful book on animals ever written:

    A Beast Book For The Pocket, by Edmund Sandars

    Maud'dib

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boulderfield and The Dreaming Place are my favourite of the bunch. How was your back after lugging two medium format cameras around the wilderness? Shame about the damaged landscape from the inconsiderate hikers, etc. The government here shuts down popular trails for a couple of years now and then to allow things to grow back. Hiking here tends to be done in bus tour groups and the popular mountains are overrun by battalions of kitted out walkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cameras weren't too bad actually - certainly easier than a LF camera anyway ';0)

      Actually British walkers aren't too bad - I do find most of the damage is being done by mountain bikes, and certainly in the last 10 or so years you're tending to find more people - it's like they've awoken and realised that there's this incredible scenery on the doorstep as it were.

      Rights of access in Scotland means that you can walk pretty much anywhere with impunity - paths though do see a lot of footfall because they're the places people go (rather than off piste) - we've also got a lot of Munro ticking going on where it's not the splendour of the mountains that counts, more the "well, that's another Munro completed" attitude.
      A lot of paths are maintained by volunteers . . . but it is an ongoing and difficult job, especially considering the high ground is pretty much no go from end of October through to March.
      You were also finding these days (though a law has just been passed banning it) that a lot of distant bothies (old farmsteads used as shelters for walkers) had weirdly turned into party destinations! Thankfully that has been stamped on.
      Lots of info here:

      https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk

      Ah, I've just noticed I could go on about mountains for hours ';0)

      Anton LeMouse

      Delete
  6. Your bridge shot has made me wonder. Surely, every photographer who finds themselves under any bridge wants to take that shot, even if they've seen its like elsewhere.
    Is it the lure of elegant symmetry? Is it the contrast of natural and artificial? Is it the oddity of a natural scene with an artificial sky? Is it the implied but unseen crossing of two ways and the metaphors that are attached to that? Bridges have something in common with trees; they are both obliged to obey the laws of nature. Can it be this? Perhaps being simultaneously sheltered and exposed...
    Dunno. But there's something there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I think it is probably to do with the fact that we are all trolls! :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh my Lord. This site no longer lets me know about a new Sheephouse epistle. Either that or my spam filter is getting fat on all the good news and gristle I am missing out.

    Gosh, such photographic foot meandering - makes my little forays into the holy lands around Pennant Melangell seem positively pedestrian.

    Much to admire here, along with the sheer dedication and physicality of the photographer as mountain man. At first glance and with the benefit of poorly corrected vision and a dusty low-res monitor, the stand out one for me is the ever so slightly Freudian No. 11 on the first roll.

    But the rest - yes. The Dreaming Place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julian - Blogger has been behaving strangely recently - I can't even comment as me. You might need to re-sub to this.

      Welsh hills are steeper than Scots ones ';0)

      Nice to hear from you again.

      A-Nun-Enormouse

      Delete

Hello!
Feel Free To Chat,
But Remember,
"Anonymous" Comments WILL NOT Be Published