Saturday, September 05, 2020

Ritual Landscape

Good morning to you!

Whizz, Thrub, Boing Boing - better get those Cormthrusters adjusted, because Ye Olde Sheephouse Time Machine is in operation again.

Oh yes, none of this modern stuff - we're heading back to a time when peat-smoke and rush-lights were all the rage.
When life hung by a thread.
When magic was real and something as mundane as a small wood could bring you out in cold sweats of awe.
Got yourself buckled in yet?
Good.
Off we go!

I've battled with myself about publishing this, because, whilst the place is relatively well-known, it also isn't, and to be honest I'd rather keep it that way.
So all I can say is if you do recognise it, keep it to yourself; and if you don't well, you can find similar - dig deep into your local topology; study maps and stuff - as my recent find of what I believe to be two unmarked (on maps) Neolithic (? - certainly incredibly old) way markers proves (well, it does to me) if you open your eyes and start to strip away 'modernity', you'll open up your Inner Ancient.
The world is littered with sites waiting to be found - pre-history stretches back further than the imagination.
They're out there, possibly waiting to be photographed - or (more likely in this world of Trip Advisor Recommended Mass Tourism) wanting to be appreciated quietly - always ask permission - that's what I did here.

Once again I am also in debt to a camera - the Hasselblad SWC/M and also to the lady called Florence who assembled them back in the '80's.
I can't define what it is, but to my eyes, photographic magic happens within it.
That's not me saying there's anything special about the photos I've taken with it either; it is more that in every film I process from it, light can be transformed into something both true and ethereal all at the same time.
Oh, and I'm also indebted to Ilford's FP4.
After years of trying this and trying that, I keep coming back to it. Whilst it isn't always ideal in Scotland - especially in the Winter - if you're using a tripod you should be fine.
There's just something about it - a balance, that I can't define, however HP5+ and Delta do look very different (when they're printed) as does all the Kodak etc etc stuff.
So, FP4 it was.

I felt I had something special to my eyes when I was taking them.








Reviewing and prepping this blog a few weeks later, I am going to go all wishy-washy on you and dedicate these photographs to the memory of my old mentor Joseph McKenzie.
Way back, and before Big Stoppers were ever even dreamed of, he encouraged me to make longer exposures of rocks n'stuff - I am not sure they were ever really successful tho'. 
They were inspired by the 'new' stuff I was seeing by John Blakemore! Gosh 40-odd years ago! I'll dedicate this to John too - he was groundbreaking and every landscape photographer, whether they know it or not, is indebted to him,
And not only to John, but also (someone I believe to have been an influence on him) Wynn Bullock who deliberately exacerbated the time/motion of long exposures and is about the first I can find who did it deliberately.
So this is dedicated to Wynn too!

Anyway, back to the main drag.
There I was (son dropped off for a very early shift) whizzing through the early-dawn, quiet lanes, with hope in my heart and a smattering of (steady . . .) excitement.
It's a weird feeling, because (and I don't know about you, but it happens to me all the time) when you get to where you're going, you almost feel like turning around and heading home. Numerous doubts creep in - the biggest for me, is does it feel right?
It doesn't have to just be about the environment - though that can influence things a lot.
It's more:

Is my heart in this? 

AM I UP FOR IT?

Without a doubt, it is self-doubt.
I could whine on about the confidence-sapping of a tiny fat-boy, by a few teachers (it's a big thing!).
I could tell you that I've doubted every single creative thing I have ever done.
It is real, and a total pain in the arse.
However, sometimes you just have to have a stern word with yourself, muster the energies and get moving.
And that's what I did. I got myself out of the car, donned super-chunkers (for muddy conditions), cleared my mind, and appreciated that I was on the edge of a place that oozed something.

It was around dawn and the cut where I was, was still smothered in a deep gloam - Mother Nature's Big Stopper as it were.
It was really pushing the abilities of the Gossen Lunasix 3S - a supremely capable low-light meter . . Some of these readings were heading to minus 2 EV.
Hardly the most ideal of situations, especially with a film as slow as I was using.





Film #66/74
FP4+ EI 80
1. 2 --> 4 Seconds f16 ZIII - Hyperfocal
2. 4 --> 7 Seconds f16 ZIII - Hyperfocal
3. 4 --> 10 Seconds f16 ZIII - Hyperfocal
4. 30 Seconds --> 2 Minutes 25 Seconds f16 ZIII 
5. 8 --> 20 Seconds f11 ZIII
6. 15 --> 55 Seconds f11 ZIII - Votive
7. 15 --> 55 Seconds f11 ZIII
8. 1 Minute --> 6 Minutes f11 ZIII !!
9. 6 --> 10 Seconds f16 ZIII
10. 4 --> 8 Seconds f8 ZIII
11. 4 --> 10 Seconds f8 ZIII 
12. 5 --> 16 Seconds f16 ZIII River

Developed in Pyrocat-HD 5+5+500ml 22℃ - Usual Agitation to 15 minutes - Stand to 18 Minutes and 30 Seconds.

As you can see from the above exposure record, these were really long times, and as such you have to reduce every single movement to nil.

How D'ya Do Zat Zen?

Well, it's actually really hard - I've no idea how Michael Kenna does some of his night exposure stuff, because wind always comes into play. 
The camera will always move no matter how tightly constrained. 
Don't believe me? 
Put your camera on a tripod and just watch it - it can be very alarming.
So with that a factor, you really need to cinch things down tight.
I use a very small (4 inch) Kaiser locking cable release, as it doesn't blow around too much if it is windy, and you can actually lock the end of it into the SW's body with the crank. 
The tripod was my beloved CF Gitzo series 3 (GT3530S).
The head is an OTT Arca B1 PMF - it was really reasonably priced when I bought it and locks like a bulldog on a postman's leg.
I've an Arca plate (though solid the screw for attaching to the camera isn't really recommended!) and this is attached to a Hasselblad QR plate. It means I can swap the two 'Blads around quite simply. The Hasselblad QR system is mechanically simple and effective.
And that's it - sounds a bit over the top I agree, but it is as solid as I can get things.

In case you are wondering, the ZIII mentioned above, is in reality a bit of a borrow from The Zone System, however these aren't true Zone System-based photographs, but I believe I can operate like this in my own way. 
Basically I get the lowest shadow reading I can get from my light meter, and then reduce the exposure by 2 stops - so say I have measured 1 second at f8, I am turning that into ¼ of a second at f8 - this gives some cause a effect to the shadows. Were I to leave it at 1 second at f8 the shadows would be rendered mid-grey. 
But this is like teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs - you know all this stuff already!
I also don't shoot at box speed - with FP4 rather than EI/ISO 125 I'll use EI 80 - effectively almost adding another stop of extra exposure too - this is something I got from a Barry Thornton book, and I just blithely accepted it - now I begin to wonder why. 
I do think maybe, what with Barry using his BT 2 bath (a good developer, but ultimately lacking in contrast - that's been the case for me and Bruce from The Online Darkroom) whether he was compensating for that to get a bit of guts in the negatives. 
I'll try some stuff at box speed and see what happens!

Exposures of these times, unless you're operating a Zone System expansion and contraction methodology with regard to exposure and development, can be rendered fairly useless by blanket development with a standard developer over a whole roll of film. 
There's just way too much variation
Thankfully, Pyrocat-HD has been a total boon - it smooths out any highlight burn-out, but still brings substance to the shadows. 
Whilst I should mix my own, I don't and have been using the premix from Wet Plate Supplies - you can find it here - it isn't cheap, but it really does last very well and you'll get roughly 20 rolls of 120 developed per 100ml kit.
And the beauty of it, is that you can standardise your development time for all the films you use - for me I can develop FP4+, HP5+, SFX, Delta's 100 and 400, Kodak films (though they've priced themselves into a corner these days) and anything else I can think of with a standard regime.
Here it is.
21 or 22 ℃; constant agitation (gentle) for the first 30 seconds; then 4 inversions (or twiddles with the Patterson twiddler) every minute; to usually 14 minutes; one last agitation; then leave till 18 minutes.
I wouldn't recommend it with tray processing for sheet film (they'd just find a skeleton hunched over the trays) but I think my times seem to be around the average ballpark of other users.
Give it a go and tell them I sent you.
It gives me a negative that is a cinch to print.

Back to the main drag - I was so excited when I saw the developed negatives that the next day I actually printed the whole roll
I have never done that in my life.
Paper was the 5x7" Agfa MCC fibre-based paper I mentioned recently. 
Some of the prints seem to be slightly out of focus - this could be the effect of the PVD on my eyes vs. the grain focusers - it's really hard work! 
Hopefully it'll improve soon and apologies to all you sharpness nuts - please bear in mind the actual image size is only a tiddler - around 4½ inches square, so it isn't actually covering the side of a building - and the effect on small paper is fine and pleasantly viewable.

Anyway, get your druid gowns or woad or full body-tatts on.
Please don't go all Celtic-brother on me though - this is a Pictish site.
As you can see, remarkably, after millenia of use, it still means something to people.
I find that heartening.
Thankfully there were no dirty campers, dogs, camp fires or beer . . 
It was just me, the Mother and a dawn-light that made me want to cry.
But there was none of that namby-pamby stuff going on - the Time Machine was only there for the briefest of windows . . . I had work to do!


Ritual Landscape 1

Ritual Landscape 2

Ritual Landscape 3

Ritual Landscape 4

Ritual Landscape 5

Ritual Landscape 6

Ritual Landscape 7

Ritual Landscape 8

Ritual Landscape 9

Ritual Landscape 10

Ritual Landscape 11

Ritual Landscape 12

Well, that's it. I know there's a couple of them that don't cut the mustard but on the whole as an exploration I feel they work.

My favourite is without a doubt Frame 12, however the print this is scanned from isn't entirely sharp and neither is the negative, though it is sharper than the print.
I'll put it down to my gorilla-like grip on the cable release - I didn't lock it, just gripped and prayed, giving the tiniest of movements to the camera . .  . amplify that by 16 seconds and you get the drift.

Despite that, to me the overall impression is one of light and I dunno, hope and peace too.
I think that carries it through any technical deficiencies. 
The print looks lovely by the way.

As before, these were developed in an ancient but fresh mixing of Kodak Polymax (still got loads left too) stopped in Kodak stop and fixed in First Call's soft-pack fixer - which I believe to be based on a Agfa formula - it's a very sensible bit of packaging for those of us who aren't printing every day. They were lightly toned (1-2 minutes) in a weakish solution of Kodak Selenium and air-dried (with clothes pegs holding them) from an ancient retractable caravan clothes line (which I inherited along with the house).
I still find myself muttering (as I carry a tray full of prints and water out of the darkroom and into the bathroom):

"I'll bet Ansel never had to wash his prints in a bath"

Ah the delights of a guerilla darkroom!

And that's it for this time.

I also have to say that I am going to have a wee break from writing this, as, apart from a bit of colour exploration, I am completely up-to-date in detailing everything. 
But aside from that, the PVD is really getting to me and rendering everything quite difficult, from taking photos (it's really hard to see aperture markings!), to printing, to even writing this. 

So, give it a few weeks or so and I'll see how I go - it's amazing how something so seemingly inconsequential (and commonplace - the optician's own words) can have such a large effect on one's life, but it is doing so.

Anyway, until the next time, go on, get some paper maps out along with a nice mug of beer and have an explore in your head, and then go and find some parts of this ancient landscape we're all surrounded by and record them - you never know, the Earth Spirit might just be kind to you.

Beam me up Scotchman.











16 comments:

  1. Back so soon. Excellent. Ta very much.
    Firstly, remember, if you know what you're doing, you're not being creative. Creativity is the unknown. Cherish your doubts.
    Interesting, but as you say, mixed. As you'd expect from a whole roll. Mixed is very welcome. Mixed is learning. Mixed is good.
    Here's a curious thing. On your contacts, Number Three is a perfect eye, looking out of the landscape, but in the print, it turns into a pond. Hmm...
    And what is going on in Number Ten? Image number ten, not the sentient haystack in Downing Street.
    I've recently unearthed a bulb release and it works very well indeed in avoiding shake. If you have one of those little angle-y things, (what are they called?) it will work well on your Hasselblad. It can be long enough to let you stand back and avoid casting shadows on the subject.
    Finally, I think you underestimate Ansel. He started off very simply. He had to load his dark-slides head-first inside a sleeping bag. A few years ago, there was an exhibition of his early work and you'd certainly have advised him to get a proper job. His early work was even worse than mine.
    No comment on the Big-Chicken-Soup filter. When you've done the Post-in-Lake picture, what do you do then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement David - as soon as I get this eye thing cleared up I am back on the road again.
    The small Kaiser releases are really smooth compared to other releases I've used and on the whole I can keep quite steady - just sometimes . . .
    I know - the eye was a baffler - almost eye of Horus in the contact.
    A photographer you'll know photographer here before nearly 40-odd years ago - quite famous images, but keep them to yourself.
    I've done dark slides in a Summer-hot caravan and changing bag - had to wear wrist bands to stop the sweat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea - probably the most enigmatic comment I have ever received!
    If you don't mind me asking . . what does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I offer some more encouragement?
    I've seen some HCB contact sheets and he had a low hit rate. As for Winogrand – acres and acres of not-very-much-at-all. I think he might have enjoyed the click more than the picture. Heresy, I know. All complaints to the Great Darkroom in the Sky
    They were both using dinky little cameras that encouraged prolific shooting. We need not speak of the overshooting encouraged by modern devices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks David - to me it felt like I was sort of in the right place at the right time - anyway, I really enjoyed myself no matter the results.
    I can recommend the book (if you can find it) Walker Evans At Work - lots of process of thinking and contacts in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all these great photos you are spoiling us! The images do seem to reveal a photographer in his element. Your enjoyment shines through.

    Is that a nod to Joshua Thomas Cooper in your choice of titles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julian - always apppreciated.
      I was 100% in my element - it's the weirdest (almost meditative) state - time stops and concentration on the photograph takes precedence over everything. Quite similar to that creative zone when you are making music with other people and everything else leaves - all that matters are the tempo, the vibe and the feeling - notes are almost immaterial . . sounds weird. Happens with writing too - you run with the characters without even thinking about the fact you are writing - it's a subconscious 'flow'.
      Borrocks! I can hear the shouting now, but it is true.

      As for Mr TJC, well I've never physically seen a single print, though weirdly I have been in the presence of his darkroom people ';0) Would like to meet him though - he seems carved from the old rocks when things like craft skills truly counted.

      Delete
  7. TJC used to do workshops. Don't know if that's still so.
    Amazingly tatty old camera. He can talk all four legs off a donkey.
    Despite the title, your pictures don't look like TJC clones. And a good thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks David - Donkeys come nowhere near me (got a reputation for chatting) - had no idea the title was significant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He uses the word Ritual in his titles. Here are some. There may be more. Coincidence?

    http://www.britishphotography.org/artists/19167/10551/thomas-joshua-cooper-ritual-indication-nesscliffe-shropshire-england?r=artists/19167/thomas-joshua-cooper

    http://www.artnet.com/artists/thomas-joshua-cooper/ritual-ground-south-west-eire-oDGmM4vAoWI78yZevU_3dg2

    https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/Ritual-Guardians/8693DD628933D08E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say so - I'll never knowingly copy anyone - just felt right for the title of the post!

      Delete
  10. I wasn't suggesting that, only that you are in distinguished company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great. I like them all, but numbers 4 and 12 are quite beautiful. I hope they are destined to hang on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus - always appreciated. As for hanging on a wall, well, I've pinned a couple to a dart-board, but fortunately I can;t see what I am doing . . . .

      Delete

Hello!
Feel Free To Chat,
But Remember,
"Anonymous" Comments WILL NOT Be Published