Thursday, July 20, 2023

Two Men In A Boat

Morning folks - well not entirely Two Men In A Boat, but there were boats in the vicinity if you know what I mean . . . .

How are you all? 
It's been a while I know, but life can be quite full at times can't it, and so it has been for me.

Anyway, today's tale is that of a head-to head between two equally weighted opponents - on one side:

H. Sheephouse Esq. 

and on the other:

The Thunder From Down Under

The Slaughter From Across The Water

Yes ladies and gentlemen, none other than . . . . T.O.D!


Hasselblad 500 C/M,Hasselblad 60mm Distagon,Hasselblad A16,Ilford FP4+,Ilford Perceptol,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,Black And White Printing,Ilford MGRC Pearl,


Well, something like that. 
Oh alright then, it's Bruce from The Online Darkroom - an Enigma In His Own Lunchtime. King of the Midget Gem. 
And then me, Sheephouse - Obscurity Personified.

In reality, two men of a certain age, one with a Hasselblad and 60mm lens, the other with a Rollei 2.8F [I was actually surprised how light the Rollei was - it seemed to me to be on a par with my Rollei T. I always thought the 'proper' Rolleis were overbuilt, but had never handled one, but no, very similar indeed. And as for handling, well if you've handled one you've handled them all] on a day trip to nowhere.

So there we were on a very lovely Summer's day (unusual over here this year) a nobblin' along the lanes and braes of the Carse Of Gowrie. 
Bruce's knowledge of said area is absolutely extraordinary - he knows the place intimately and can point out things and take turns that mere ordinary humans would balk at. 
In other words, if you're in the Carse and you need a taxi to take you the quickest way from Ardgaith to Knapp .  . he's the man to call.

We had a place in mind (well, he did; I'd never been there) and so we parked up and rattled down to an extraordinary spot, full of peace and beauty, right on the banks of the Tay. 
The swans were out and the light was gorgeous; a decent wind had set in though and the reeds were moving all over the shop. It was landscape heaven.
Now never being one for the obvious, I decided I wasn't going to include any horizon in my photos. 
No way.
Why? Well, this has been pointed out to me (by Bruce) - I don't take traditional landscapes
I think it all boils back to when I first started and could never capture what I saw in my mind's eye; y'know, you've got your wee 35mm, and everything you see through the VF looks marvey and you get home, develop it, and the negs look sort of phhhhhhh
I've always found it a problem.
So, horizons were OUT.

Anyway, what do you do on a clear day that would have Ansel weeping for joy? 
Yep, that's right, you get a Medium Red Filter and combine it with a 0.6 ND filter, bung them together and dial in -5EV on your meter! 
A tripod helps too. 
And a soupçon of excitement, because you simply do not know what you are going to get
This to me is one of the key essences of photography and one I feel has been largely lost in this digital era.

Anyway, then you plonk the tripod down and get counting those seconds. 
Some of these were pretty long exposures . . up to three minutes . . . I know!
I can however think of worse ways to spend a sunny day.

So without further ado, here's what came back from the chemists:


Hasselblad 500 C/M,Hasselblad 60mm Distagon,Hasselblad A16,Ilford FP4+,Ilford Perceptol,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,Black And White Printing,Ilford MGRC Pearl,



Hasselblad 500 C/M,Hasselblad 60mm Distagon,Hasselblad A16,Ilford FP4+,Ilford Perceptol,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,Black And White Printing,Ilford MGRC Pearl,



Hasselblad 500 C/M,Hasselblad 60mm Distagon,Hasselblad A16,Ilford FP4+,Ilford Perceptol,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,Black And White Printing,Ilford MGRC Pearl,



Hasselblad 500 C/M,Hasselblad 60mm Distagon,Hasselblad A16,Ilford FP4+,Ilford Perceptol,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,Black And White Printing,Ilford MGRC Pearl,



Hasselblad 500 C/M,Hasselblad 60mm Distagon,Hasselblad A16,Ilford FP4+,Ilford Perceptol,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,Black And White Printing,Ilford MGRC Pearl,



They're all straight scans off the image area of the actual prints - no Lightroom or digital jiggery-pokery; just scanned, imported into 'Photos' and cropped and churned out again.
I'm rather happy with them - they're not typical landscapes, there's more of an air of dream about them, which is exactly what I wanted.
It is quite easily achieved with a ND and a red - when you look through them combined like that, it is like staring into the heart of an uncooked slice of black pudding, minus the oatmeal. 

The film was the ever reliable FP4, rated at EI 80 and developed in 1+3 Perceptol; oh and that is a Hasselblad A16 back at work. 
I've taken a liking to Perceptol again after many years - if you treat it gently it can be very compensating and it works well with these really rather long exposures, the longest of which (the picture at the very top of the page) as I said, was around 3 minutes.

What might really surprise you is that they were all printed on Grade 4! 
Strangely, it has weirdly balanced the contrast inherent in using a red filter, with the flecks of sunlight coming through the gloom. 
They were all toned in selenium too, which just added to the overall feel of the scenes.

I was a happy bunny, as apart from Print 1, all darkroom exposures were guessed. 
I did a test strip for the first one, made a print I liked and then, because everything else was pretty similar in exposure, winged it from there by eyeballing the contact sheet. 
Happy days and all in a morning's work.

Anyway I'll leave the final image to the spirits and hooded monks, that I'm sure the Victorian creators of this folly were willing to inhabit it . . . sadly what they got, were the Chuckle Brothers.
BTW, the camera was level, the building has a lean. Honest.


Hasselblad 500 C/M,Hasselblad 60mm Distagon,Hasselblad A16,Ilford FP4+,Ilford Perceptol,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,Black And White Printing,Ilford MGRC Pearl,
The Leaning Folly


And that's yer lot for this month - keep on enjoying the Max Bygraves records . . .
TTFN
H xx


© Bruce Robbins
Sadly No Spirits Involved.
He Was Driving.


6 comments:

  1. Great post, as always. The best picture is the colour one at the bottom. Obviously a great time was had by all. The other pictures are good as well, especially the first one. I like the progression from light to dark as the eye follows the lines from top left to bottom right. The third and last photographs are great as well.
    I use mostly digital these days, so I don't get the delayed gratification of seeing my photos magically appearing on the film and then the print in the darkroom. But I do get great satisfaction from getting home and seeing on a large screen that my composition, micro-composition, details, and exposure were spot on and I don't need to do anything to the picture.
    Looking forward to the next instalment of FogBlog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hermansheephouse21 July 2023 at 10:31

      Thanks as always Marcus - had to get the last one past the censors, hence the delay.
      I suppose I am lucky in being totally film-based, it's not an inconsiderable expense these days - one wonders how much longer it will continue.
      Take care, hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. Very much love the 2nd and 4th photos, Phil.

    I had never realised that you are a no-horizon guy. It's an interesting outlook to start out with the premise of not including the horizon. Thanks for mentioning it. I always enjoy hearing how other photographers think.

    How are you getting on with the A16 back, by the way? Vertical pictures must be a bit of a pain, I reckon. Or do you get in a "no-vertical" mindset?

    Glad to see you two enjoying each other's company!

    Cheers,
    Omar


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hermansheephouse24 July 2023 at 07:27

      Hi Omar - many thanks for the kind comments as usual. You know, I never even thought about it till Bruce pointed it out. I've actually got numerous landscapes with horizons, but I dunno, I seem to only print the ones without - maybe it's an unconscious choice (to save myself difficult printing - that's Bruce thought too!). So there's actually no thought applied to it at all, it just happens.
      As for the A16 - it's great - I should use it more. Harry Callahan did his Cape Cod (?) stuff with a SW and A16 - nicely economical with film too. This being said Bruce has loaned me his Mamiya Universal (6X9) - you know, 8 pictures is just about right!
      Hope you are well and that the move is in the offing.

      Delete
  3. Don McCullin has been using a Mamiya Universal for his recent landscapes. I'm sure you must've seen those. So, I reckon a post about the Mamiya is a must now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched pretty much everything about McCullin on youtube. The BBC documentary is amazing. Haven't read his autobiography though.
    He's a great darkroom printer as well. Those 20x24 prints he handles in one of the videos look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Hello!
Feel Free To Chat,
But Remember,
"Anonymous" Comments WILL NOT Be Published