Monday, November 06, 2023

Last Post

OK folks - don't spill yer coffee. 
It very nearly was The Last Post too, due to some very strange error messages on my Mac. 
It's pretty old, and have you seen the price of a new one these days? 
Anyway two days down the line and a reinstallation of the operating system, everything seems fine . . phew.

Anyway, I'll preface this post with a wise old saw from my old mate Ian 'Unter, of Mott The Hoople.

"Contrary to what various people say, this is the best possible form of music that there ever was, just this . . "


© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,


Regular readers of FB will know that I've struggled with formats over the years and this year has been the craziest courtesy of a couple of people - a certain Mr. Robbins of this parish who loaned me (amongst other things) a long-time lustable (the Mamiya Press [6x9]) and a friend at the forum who asked me whether I could reseal his Mamiya RZ (6x7) - a complete 3 lens, 3 back, AE finder etc etc kit! It is still here. I also did his OM4Ti (35mm) for him too . . . .

Sheephouse Turrets has been awash with cameras, from a Rollei Old Standard (6x6) the above two, various lenses, a new (old) Canon L2 (35mm) and a new (old) Mamiya C330F (6x6). 
It's quite bonkers - there's around 20 useable film cameras in the house and I find myself ever drawn to the old faves - my Hasseblads (6x6 and 645) and Nikons (35mm). 
Don't ask about the LF stuff (5x4") - I've enough film to last my lifetime and zero enthusiasm for lugging two and a half tons of gear anywhere at the moment.

The funny thing is, I would say it has probably been the most photographically active year of my life too, which has been great.
That has come courtesy of two things - the DCA Forum which forces me to produce something every month; it's not like they have me in a straightjacket or anything, but being nearly the ONLY ambassador for the DARK (room) ARTS, I feel I have to keep the side up. 
The other thing is The Thursday Occasional Club, where Mr. Robbins and I head out into the wilds of this 'ere neck of the woods.
It's a day of talk, laughter, great company, cameras, film, and (to me) a feeling that we're almost like the last two Neanderthals in a world of Homo Sapiens.
 
Despite the 'analog revolution' how many people do you know that use film? 
My answer to that is very very few.
Even in Brussels on holiday - a city that isn't exactly quiet - I spotted ONE Pentax ME. 
And that is it. 
Maybe we all come out at night . . I dunno, but it does feel to me that the world is getting smaller.

To this end (game) I've been thinking:

"What the fuck is going to happen to all this stuff when I pop my clogs?"

And it's not just the ever increasing 'burden' of camera stuff, it is (to my mind) THE WHOLE POINT OF DOING THIS
To wit:

THE PRINT

Y'see I find myself thinking a lot about how in another 20 years, I really could either be pushing up the daisies or can't be arsed to go through the lengthy and increasingly punishingly expensive process of (ahem) "traditional photographic practice".
To wit (yet again) so what happens to my 'legacy' (as it were) of decades of printing . . will I be bothered to care about it, or, on a darker note - how do the people that I leave behind, deal with it?
 
Bet you've never thought that before

But you will, and hopefully now you will be concerned, because you have put so much effort and skill into this whole creative effort, producing these smallish bits of time and paper which are a total reflection of your personality, that it really has to mean more in the great scheme of things than meeting an acrimonious end in a skip.


© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,
London Circa 1965.

Oh I know, photos survive - I was reminded of this recently when I uncovered a photograph of my recently departed sister with our family friend AJ. 
Maggie was about 14 and on her arm is the biggest fecking parrot you've ever seen. 
It's a family photograph and was a surprise to her daughters who had never seen it before. 
Family stuff tends to survive, albeit in an incredibly truncated version - and that is fine, because something will hopefully sail onwards. 
But creative stuff - that's a whole different kettle of fish - who wants it? More to the point, who is interested? 
Well, if you're a well-known photographer, someone somewhere is probably prepared to store it in perpetuity (and even more so if they can monetise it!)
But if you're a smalltown, Joe Soap (like me) who produces interesting (to my eyes) work that no one knows about . . . well . . the future is quite bleak. 
It's a fact, that despite all these well-meaning bits of nostalgia (like the 'return' to film and indeed LPs) the world is ever-increasingly becoming less grounded in physical stuff.

At the start of the year I thought:

I know, I'll print at 9.5 x 12" and store them in archival sleeves and that way someone at some point will think they have some worth rather than just chucking them.

But then, you're casting forward a huge burden of responsibilty on future generations, and, again, who's to say they'll be interested, or even have the space?

It's hard isn't it.

Please excuse me whilst I grab a cup of tea.

Certainly, printing at that larger size suits Medium Format.
There's no two ways about it, an 8x8" image on that size of paper screams gravitas (and also looks beautiful if you have been careful).
But the 35mm stuff . . yeah. 
Well . . . 

And so with much chin-scratching did I realise that the vast quantity of 35mm stuff I have, was destined to remain forever just a tiny, squinty thing on a contact print, which is ridiculous when you think about it!
I've got a daft number of 35mm cameras and lenses and I don't even consider myself a 35mm photographer! 
I've got thousands of 35mm images, which, whilst pretty stupid looking on a contact, surely must have meant something to me, in that I actually took a photograph of them.

The Medium and Large Format stuff is easy to deal with. The worthwhile, printable images are all too easily visible (though of course you can revisit at a later point and something might catch your eye that you didn't consider in the beginning) but 35mm stuff?
Well if you were to print everything you fancied printing, at sizes like 8x10" or even 5x7" you're still creating a VAST amount of burdeny-stuff. 
That's a new phrase btw - B-S.

It's a prickly pear isn't it man-cub?

Let me rewind a bit to a recent trip Brussels.

WTF Sheepy are you off on one again?

Well yes, y'see I discovered (well actually he's been there a few years) a most wonderful shop. 
It is called Avec Plaizier. 
You can find their Instagram here

We've been in his shop before, but this time (on a chucking wet morning) with a Canon L2/35mm LTM Nikkor around my neck and a subcutaneous feeling that there was little point in me carrying it, all of a sudden I had a revelation.
And it literally did land with a massive CLONK in my head.

Postcards


© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,


My goodness it was so obvious. 
All those years of weird pictures - print postcards
They're small (ostensibly 6x4" but in these metric days 10x15cm) but they're handleable in a way that even the smallest arty print isn't.
There's no bull with a postcard. 
You're not handling it with kid gloves; it's there to serve a purpose. 
Yes it will get damaged, written on and (if fulfilling its destiny) will travel somewhere and end up as a skidder under a posties shoe, or (hopefully) ultimately be pinned to a noticeboard or attached to a fridge, or even end up framed. But the thing is, it is out there, like some subversive entity, disseminating your mad view of the world and passing through the hands of others.

I was in such as fever as to be nearly breathless.


© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,


OK, back to reality and an order to place - I was determined. 
Not many places stock that size of paper, and indeed as far as I can see, my only choices are Ilford MGRC and FB and Ilford Portfolio. 
Harman don't even produce it as Kentmere; see what I mean about the world getting smaller?
Years back every manufacturer produced it. 

Biting the (expensive) bullet I ordered some Portfolio from Process Supplies (who I love by the way - a proper old-school, knowledgable company [who else would tell you that Ilfospeed is now discontinued and they're running down stocks?]). 
Incredibly with Portfolio, you're nearly 70 pence a sheet for this size. 
I will say though, never having tried it before, gosh it is good. 
It's pretty stiff and will dry relatively flat though that is dependent on relative humidity - mine developed a temporary bow on a very very wet weekend, but it returned to nearly normal after. 
The emulsion is the same as Ilford MG, this meant I could produce ad-hoc test strips with my Kentmere paper as there was no way I was cutting a sheet of this stuff up.
I also decided, seeing as I really want these small worlds to last, that I'd double fix and selenium tone them. 
Quite a lot of work for something so small, but you know what, I feel it is worth it.

Gosh, you can even get Secol postcard sleeves (and acid free rummage boxes) to protect your masterworks too.

Of course, being postcards you can print as many as you like - once you've nailed the original print, make notes on the back, and that is your reference. Store it safely if you want, but if you want to bang out 10 copies of the same thing you can easily do so. Traditional photography, is, after all, a semi-industrial process!
As a size, 10x15 is a cinch to handle. 
5x7" trays and you're laughing. 
What could be easier?

Anyway, here's a selection of some of my more, how shall we say, esoteric photographs. 
I trimmed the borders off for the scans, but for all of the actual cards, I am using a border of 5mm Left and Right, and 4.5mm Top and Bottom. 
My lovely old (gifted) Leitz easel is wonderful for this.


© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,



© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,



© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,



© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,



© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,



© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,



© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,



© Phil Rogers, Dundee, Ilford Portfolio, Postcards,Analog Photography,Black And White Printing,Darkroom,


As this is a work in progress (and seeing as Ilford stopped printing the Postcard stuff on the back of them) I still haven't physically trialled one in the postal system yet, but I intend to. 
You get proper 'PostCard' rubber stamps and a wealth of archival inks to rub them up with - I've got one on my Christmas list.

Maybe Portfolio is too much?
It would probably be cheaper producing them with an inkjet, but I don't own one, so for the moment . . . anyway, I just like printing, so I'm not going to let a squirter spoil my fun.
I'll maybe get some Ilford MGRC and try that too and see what happens.

Anyway, I can report that to me they are a success and have a lovely uniformity to them which I've always felt was lacking in any 35mm prints I've ever made. 
It is a new way forward and I do believe I will adhere to it.

Give it a go if you can - they look (AND FEEL) really good . . honest.

Until the next time, TTFN and remember to be kind to that old man stuck up your chimney.
H xx



















13 comments:


  1. I know what you mean re 35mm and the number of pics we take using it. I’ve got rolls of the stuff with just a photo or two from each roll actually printed. The answer can’t be to print more from each roll otherwise we’d end up with even more prints, probably of mediocre quality. Is the answer to shoot less but better? That would require willpower - and talent. Maybe that’s why medium format was invented? Or what about rolling your own 12-exp 35mm rolls?

    The postcards are a great idea. I’m not sure if MGRC would have the same quality feel as the Portfolio but worth a go, I suppose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gruman Flophouse7 November 2023 at 03:40

      Thanks Bruce - yeah it probably wouldn't be the same, but it is maybe worth a pop. I remember Jessops 6x4 was actually fairly solid - I'll try it and report back!
      My thinking about the postcards though is that you can print and store more, more easily than you can with say 8x10. You've probably got lots of gems unprinted - - worth getting all your negatives organised and go from there - a nice Winter project for you.

      Delete
  2. "Bet you've never thought that before."

    I think about this all the time. But then, anybody who is creating something is bearing the same burden: painters, sculptors, even writers. A mate of mine is a painter. His house is crammed with canvases, and not small ones. He's in a much worse situation than us.
    The opposite would be doing nothing. We only live once, better enjoy it and do something we're good at. As for the skip, that's probably inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi OMar - thanks as always. I am glad someone else is thinking about it, because, I'm not actually sure if many people do - it's funny, the inevitability of the end to creativity is a thorny subject. I wonder if any of the great masters ever thought about it, or just produced it and stuck it out in the world? There must be plenty of writing about it . . somewhere.
    As for the postcards - not sure if you've ever done them, but I can honestly say they are a thoroughly enjoyable thing to produce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One solution would be to give up photography, throw your prints in the bin, sell your gear and take up knitting, giving each woolly creation away at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now why didn't I think of that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any of the photos in this post would be a pleasure to get in the mail. After reading your article this morning, I took a regular 4x6 print that you get from a lab, wrote my parents' address and a note on the back, and went to the post office. I gave it to the lady behind the counter and she accepted it without any hesitation or inspection. Glossy lab prints are a bit flimsy, so I'm not sure what kind of condition it will arrive in. Still, fun to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done that man! Action not words - superb and well done.

      Delete
    2. I'll try to remember to tell you the results in a couple or three weeks.

      Delete
    3. Good news! My parents received the picture yesterday and it was completely undamaged. It took three weeks to get halfway around the world, but that's normal for the post-covid Canada-Korea route.

      Delete
  7. Thought provoking, as usual. I've got the double burden of my father's photographs as well, nay triple that as he also bought albums and glass negatives. It's a preoccupation, but I think it's just a by-product of being alive and nearer the destination than the starting point.

    I do like the Portfolio stock - though it is still resin coated. I was lucky enough to purchase a box of the 4 by 6 when it was still printed on the back with the postcard markings. Even if not sending as a postcard, there is still something aesthetically pleasing to me about a suitably sized picture with "Postcard" written on the back. I find a slight source of anxiety about which way up to print the image so as to be consonant with the writing upon the reverse.

    Now Ilford have ceased the postcard markings there is yet another anxiety about using the paper as when it's gone, it's gone. Never to return. I know it's for printing on and there's no point not using it, but it still feels like being the chap who's about to shoot the last dodo.

    From my limited experience, if you can bear to let them out of your hands and give them away, a postcard is well received by people. My heart leaped a little when visiting a friend I saw pinned up one of my postcarded images.

    Cost is a thing, but everything costs so much more, what can you do?

    Pleased you're having such a productive time. I'm still stuck in a creative drought. However sprout season is upon us and that is some small compensation. It is draughty in these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melodius Crumphorn12 November 2023 at 08:27

      Hi Julian - firstly, it is lovely to hear from you again - it has been a long time. Hope you are both well, and relishing the influx of those little green bundles of joy.

      As for the postcard paper - use it - MG will go off, slowly but surely and today's Grade 3 will be tomorrow's Grade 4.5, so print and be damned. I would keep the printing and the image top to top (if you know what I mean) - that's the way they all seem to be.

      As for cost, well, it does almost feel like one is being painted into a corner and I don't like that feeling - one wonders how long the goodwill of a film user can be tweaked.
      As for creative sloughs, I fully understand - why not try something different? Portraits? Weirdity? Still life? Plenty of potential if you think sidewise!

      As always take care.

      Delete

Hello!
Feel Free To Chat,
But Remember,
"Anonymous" Comments WILL NOT Be Published