Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Big Meal, Full Plate

Morning folks - before I start this FB I'd like to mention that the excellent Turkish photographer Omar Özenir has started a new English language blog - his previous one being Geldurkal
It is always worth reading his insights and looking at his sublime printing and photographic skills - highly recommended. 
Anyway the new one - in a stroke of genius - is called "Intermittent Agitation" and you can find it HERE.

Well, a couple of weeks back in a sort of gotta-get-out-of-the-smell-of-paint-fumes-and dust sorta way, I hauled out the Wista DX, Super Angulon 90mm, some ancientally expired film and walked less than a quarter of a mile from my house, to take some photos.

Incredibly you can fit an entire, small, 5x4 set-up, including camera, lens, 2 DDS's AND a dark cloth, loupe, ancilliary equipment etc. into the highly versatile and brick-outhouse built Think Tank Urban Disguise 40 V2. shoulder bag. 
It is quite a remarkable wee thing that packs easily to one side whilst you're under the dark cloth and removes the horror and hassle of a backpack/bumbag set-up.


Wista DX,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Schneider 90mm f8 Super Angulon,TMX 400,Kodak HC 110 Dilution B



Wista DX,© Phil Rogers Dundee,Schneider 90mm f8 Super Angulon,TMX 400,Kodak HC 110 Dilution B


The above were an exercise in using a 'new' paper - the "Full Plate" size of 6.5 x 8.5".
I wanted to try something that could balance economy with weight if you know what I mean - an inch and half all round bigger than my recent experiments with 5x7" paper, the 'Arfur as I now lovingly call it, delivers the balance that I wanted. 
It is a satisfying size to print 5x4 onto, and I think the same will be so when I get around to printing some 6x6 negatives too.

The above negatives were Kodak TMX 400, rated at EI 200. The film expired in 2012 (I have no idea why Kodak film is more expensive than Gold these days - seems a fecking stupid move. Luckily I have about 75 mixed sheets of TMX 100 and TXP 320 to use - all expired 2013.)
It was developed in some truly ancient HC110 (at least 10 years old) Dilution B, and remarkably, they came in at 6 minutes development time. 
I find that utterly astonishing.

The prints were Grade 3 on Ilford's "New" MGRC - I don't know whether it is my eyes, but the "new" paper looks slightly more contrasty at Grade 3 than the last lot. 
Who knows. 
Eyes can be deceptive.

And that's it - briefer than a pair of briefs.
Today I go back to even more painting - it will end eventually I am sure, just have to keep our heads down, keep going and keep the faith.
Till the next time, stock up on film now - a year further on and you'll regret not doing so.
H xx











6 comments:

  1. I quite like the second photo. Where have those stairs come from and where are they going? I ask myself.
    I have a Billingham bag that can tightly fit my D850 and three primes. A great bag, but just a bit too small. So I went out a few years ago and bought a larger Billingham bag. Everything fit nicely, but I found the weight on my shoulder cut off the circulation and my arm went numb. Not good. So I sold it and now I use a National Geographic backpack that is good, but inconvenient when changing lenses, etc. I'm still looking for the perfect bag. Maybe we all are . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcus - they're going over a railway . . that's where they are going!
    As for bags - if you get them over there, I can happily recommend Think Tank - I have a few of their bags and they are all thoughtfully designed. Yes it obviously is a balance between usefulness and how much stuff you can chuck in them, but on the whole, they are very good - I recommend them.
    Hope you are well!
    H

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got one of the Lowepro sling bags, and it works pretty well for a camera body and 3-4 lenses. The nice feature is that it carries like a rucksack but swings round to sit across your belly to open it, so it acts like a small table for lens-swapping. It also sits pretty securely for things like climbing over fences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon E Mouse, I have gone against my "no anonymous comments" thing because I can see how that would work.
      I have used a large capacity runner's bum bag for things like DDS's and loupe etc with the tripod being taken from Ruck to Tripod, or else being permanently mounted on the Tripod and lugged that way, but the bum bag makes you look a bit of a twat to be honest and is best only done in the wilds where you are guaranteed no observers!

      Delete
  4. Oops! Didn't mean to be anonymous. I wore the pants without the name tag today, so I was stumped. Shan't do it again, boss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naughty step for you from now on!

    ReplyDelete

Hello!
Feel Free To Chat,
But Remember,
"Anonymous" Comments WILL NOT Be Published