Tuesday, August 04, 2026

Paris



© Phil Rogers,Nikon F3, Nikon K-Series, Nikkor 35mm f2.8,Hasselblad  Ilford Delta 400,Kodak HC 110 Dilution B,ilfospeed Grade 3,Foma Variant,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,


Only in sleep

is man truly free

He awoke to a Euro

and looked back at me


as if I had given him

the earth made whole

The lightest of gestures

a salve for my soul


Yet had I passed by

I'd never have looked

and read of fate's hand

in another man's book


The truth of the city

A spare coin thrown

In some small way

my soul knew his own


© Raymond Frederick Seaforth

(First Published In © 'L'esprit Épicurien', 2012)



Yeah I know - it's all a bit sixth form poetry eh (but I liked it, somewhat in the spirit of fotherington-tomas, however it seemed truly appropriate.)

fotherington-tomas? I hear you quoth . . . OK - here's a nice gurly pictur just to remind you.



What you need to know:

Holiday in Paris

Vast numbers of homeless people - some of them with nothing more than what they were wearing.

Heatwave.

Aghast companions as I took photographs of sleeping and recumbent homeless people.

Ethics? Yeah, I agree with you, but it wasn't something I was going to repeat.

Camera - my old Nikon F3 (wiv the dropped-off exposure lock button).

Lens - Nikon 35mm f2.8 K-SERIES (the ones between the Non-Ai and the 'new' Ai lenses - they are a specific series)

Film - Ilford Delta 400 at EI 200 (wonderful stuff)

Developer - Kodak HC110 Dilution B

Work Prints (below) - Ilfospeed Grade 3 

Final print (above) - (gasp) Foma Variant at Grade 3.  (I actually printed 6 on the Foma but just left it at 1 for this post - it behaved beautifully - a lovely paper . . . Foma, I apologise)



© Phil Rogers,Nikon F3, Nikon K-Series, Nikkor 35mm f2.8,Hasselblad  Ilford Delta 400,Kodak HC 110 Dilution B,ilfospeed Grade 3,Foma Variant,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,
Work Prints



© Phil Rogers,Nikon F3, Nikon K-Series, Nikkor 35mm f2.8,Hasselblad  Ilford Delta 400,Kodak HC 110 Dilution B,ilfospeed Grade 3,Foma Variant,Analog Photography,Analogue Photography,
Work Prints



And that's it - till the next time TTFN and keep taking the Spangles.
H xx

2 comments:

  1. Yes, a contentious theme, but that opening picture is beautiful, Phil. Sometimes you have to make that split second decision to make or not make the photo, and I'm glad you decided to make it (others might disagree; each to their own). And to me it doesn't really scream "suffering homeless person exploited for a photo opportunity"; could've been a traveller leaning on his rucksack, taking a nap.
    I see you still have a stash of Ilfospeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always Omar - you couldn't really help but take pictures - it was all quite extreme. The lad in the picture had nothing other than his puffer (! in a heatwave !) and it's a common sight. A damn shame and quite indicative of the world we live in.
      I have about 75 sheets of 5x7" Grade 3 left . . . . what an emulsion.
      Take care as always.

      Delete

Hello!
Feel Free To Chat,
But Remember,
"Anonymous" Comments WILL NOT Be Published